Supervisor Development Program
May 2-4, 2017
The Supervisor Development Program focuses on critical skills needed for effective supervision and addresses many of the day to day demands and challenges of being a supervisor. This three day workshop is designed to be practical, engaging and provide ample opportunities to try out ideas and approaches. The workshop is delivered by a group of distinguished leaders who have real world experience.
Day 1: Leadership
- Understand the difference in leading versus managing.
- Recognize how personality affects the way you manage others.
- Assess your leadership style strengths and needed areas of improvement.
Day 2: Communications 360
- Identify how to approach others in the workplace, considering individual communication styles
- Understand four core communication styles and realize how each person's style contributes to the dynamics of a department or team.
- Recognize how conflicts escalate and practice strategies for turning conflict into constructive, productive conversations.
- Identify the five types of responses to conflict and your preferred style.
- Apply communication practices such as: active listening, empathy reflective response, and I-Messages to workplace situations.
Day 3: Employment Best Practices
- Apply the best ways to treat employees throughout the employment life cycle including selection, performance management, constructive discipline and termination
- Understand key employment laws and reasons for them
- Recognize employment situations that can get you and your city in trouble
Who should attend (open to MVCC Members and Affiliate Members):
New and existing supervisors, team or crew leads, or anyone with people responsibilities seeking to improve their supervisory effectiveness.
When: May 2, 3, 4 - Time: 8:30 am – 4:00 pm each day
Where: MVCC, 1195 E. Alex Bell Road, Centerville, OH
Fee: $50 Members/$65 Affiliate Members
(please note, if you register and do not attend or cancel within three days prior to training, your city will be charged the training fee)
Training is limited to 25 member cities, so register NOW!
Register at www.mvcc.training!